Monday, December 29, 2014

Back in Kampot

Kampot, located in the province of the same name, some 3 hours south of Phnom Penh, isn't really a coastal town since there isn't any beach access. It belongs to the Top Ten of towns which I had a chance to see on my motorcycle tour over the past few month. I traveled, -and still do-, through three countries, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia, and had a chance to see diverse communities, from enchanting to dismal.

The list goes like this (In no particular order, I haven't made my mind up yet completely):

1. Kampot, Cambodia,
2. Mae Hong Son, Thailand
3. Chiang Saen, Thailand
4. Nong Kai, Thailand
5. Kep, Cambodia
6. Battambang, Cambodia
7. Siem Reap, Cambodia
8. Phnom Penh, Cambodia
9. Cha Am, Thailand,
10. Klong Yai, Thailand

The reason why Luang Brabang, Laos, didn't made the cut is simply that it is too overrun by Western tourist for my taste, at least. I am one myself, I know, but still.


Keep the dust at bay.


The local gas station


Preeak Taek Chhu River, Kampot

French-colonial build Entanou iron bridge

French-colonial built Market Hall, kampot




So now I am back in Kampot. It is just great to hang out here, not much to do, just watch the river go by, and the fishermen go out to sea at around 5 p.m. Here also much has changed. Formerly dismal dirt roads are now four-lane highways, many new buildings are gone up, and one sees many more foreigners, also ex-ptas, mainly from Europe and the U.S. But overall, this is still a rural fishing community, with no supermarkets or shopping malls, no chain stores, no large hotels, and no Western restaurants. And people still have to water the dirt road in front of their house if they don't want to be overwhelmed by dust. This is Cambodia!

I like it here very much.



Another example in my series of "Funky Cambodian Roundabout Sculptures"

And another one.

This might not look like much but it is the shop of the one-eyed lady Ms.Sokha, who is able to provide the best massage I have ever encountered.
I know her from a year ago.
The sensations she is able to evoke range from "heavenly bliss" to "pure and unapologetic, terrifying pain".
Ms. Sokha.

Below my hut.



No comments:

Post a Comment